The data in MACAWS represent a valuable resource for research in writing studies. Some of these data are private and not available to the general public. Please take the agreement and conditions of use described below seriously and respect the user agreement.
Currently available access levels
- Standard access supports full search capability on all student texts and instructor materials. Excerpts of student texts are shown.
- Full text access provides the ability to see the full text of student writing. Additional justification and verification will be required.
- Data export access is intended for corpus analysis research. Additional justification and verification will be required.
Staff will evaluate the requested access level to determine eligibility. Our determination regarding your access request will then be emailed to the address you provide, and will include details about the access level you have been granted.
I understand that by acknowledging that I have read this agreement to have access to the MACAWS corpus and repository, I am agreeing to the following:
1. Corpora can not be used for commercial purposes.
2. I will not download full texts from the MACAWS servers for research purposes. If researchers are interested in having full text access to the corpus for off-line use, they should contact us at [email protected]. Instructors may download limited texts (no more than 10 per assignment) for pedagogical purposes (non-commercial).
3. I will not redistribute any texts from the MACAWS corpus except as outlined above.
4. I will not share my MACAWS username and password with anyone.
5. I can only use excerpts of up to 40 words of running text in publications.
6. Any published research which relies on the MACAWS corpus should include a citation, e.g.:
a. Staples, S., Novikov, A., Picoral, A., Sommer-Farias, B. (2019-). Multilingual Academic Corpus of Assignments - Writing and Speech. Available at https://macaws.corporaproject.org
b. This includes workshops, conference presentations, and other media.
Your access will expire on the date you indicate unless you request an extension. This agreement does not apply to MACAWS system code distributed via GitHub
(https://github.com/writecrow); that is available via the MIT License.
This document was last updated on May 12, 2020.